Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Berlin

Berlin Cathedral
After a relaxing day at sea, we docked in Rostock, Germany where we took a train to Berlin.   I had been looking forward to visiting Berlin to see Checkpoint Charlie and the Berlin Wall.  The trek to the train was a lot longer than anticipated, especially for Linda and me who still had pain issues in our legs.  Fortunately, the two and a half train ride was smooth and the seats were comfortable.



Checkpoint Charlie was quite the tourist stop.  It was so different from pictures I had seen in old movies or documentaries.  You can see a McDonald's and a KFC in the pictures I took.

This is from the Allied side (West) of Checkpoint Charlie.  This was one of three crossing points from East and West Berlin.
But even though it was touristy, the feeling of what went on here from 1961-1989.  Many people lost their lives trying to escape.  The huge picture of the American soldier Sargent Jeff Harper, was one of the last to guard the checkpoint.  Looking at his picture, I found that the tourist shops and fast food places faded into a mist as I imagined what it would have been like to have been on the other side of the wall.  When I stepped to the eastern side of the wall I could feel a whole different energy.  There was a sadness and despair. And then, I jolted back to reality by someone bumping into me as they were taking a picture.

This is the back of the Checkpoint Charlie building.   The original building is in a nearby museum.


I doubt anyone could misinterpret this sign.  Only diplomats and those approved of crossing into East Berlin were allowed past this sign.

That feeling happened a number of times.  To be standing in the exact location where such major history occurred overwhelmed me. I welcomed the loud tourists, and some of the tacky tourist shops.  I welcomed the laughing and watching others who seemed unaware of the history of this place.  All of this showed me how resilient we humans are.  We can still remember the history, we can still learn from it; but we can also live our dreams, and hope to make the world a better place.

Here are some other pictures I took near Checkpoint Charlie.


It is difficult to read the banner.  It says, "By defending the liberty and unity of Ukraine we defend the liberty and unity of the countries of Europe.  Vladimir Putin: Abandon your geopolitical ambitions and set the whole of Ukraine free."
Sargent Jeff Harper, one of the last guards at Checkpoint Charlie.
 The length of the Berlin Wall was 96.3 miles and the height is 11.8 inches.  It was made of barbed wire and concrete.  It was built to keep the East Berlin people from going into West Berlin.  West Berlin became an island city in the middle of East Germany.  The city depended on people in the Western World to send supplies.

There are a few places where the Berlin Wall still stands.  They have had to enclose the wall because so many people were chipping away to take a piece of it as a souvenir.

This is a marker showing path of the Berlin Wall.

Ray was kind enough to let me take his picture straddling the Berlin Wall.

These bricks show the path of the Berlin Wall throughout the city,

This is an enclosed part of the Berlin Wall.

Parts of the Berlin Wall that show graffiti.


On our trip back to the ship we passed this building.  The message seems to be right in step with the Berlin Wall.  A wall is used to keep people out, but also traps people within the barriers.  When the Berlin Wall was torn down, there was a lot of adjustment, but this symbol of repression was like a catalyst in working together to make a strong Germany.  I hope we an learn from this history.  The sign on the building speaks for me.  Walls can only suppress people for a certain length of time. Immigrants need to be welcomed into our country, but it needs to be done in a lawful manner.



There was so much to see in Berlin, I will write another post.  It will focus on the Brandenberg Gate, and yes, there is a lot of history I will try to squeeze in.

No comments:

Post a Comment