Thursday, October 19, 2023

Stranded: Part Two

 My last post left the six of us (traveling to Italy) sleeping all night at the Newark airport because of a delay caused by a terrible storm. I should qualify that in saying that some of us attempted to sleep while some just stayed awake. I spent my time reading, playing card games on my iPad and checking out the airport map to find if there was a place to shower.

I did find that United has two lounges. One was the United Polaris Lounge that was restricted to first and business class passengers. The other was the United Lounge that charged $59 per person. Entry includes drink, WiFi, TV, and comfy seating in a modern space. But what caught my eye was that it had showers and a buffet breakfast. It opened at 5:00 A.M. and had a limit of how many people were permitted for the day. I was determined to be one of those people. It had been a  long day of traveling, getting delayed, getting diverted to Rochester airport and then hours later traveling back to Newark. We slept on cots in the airport and our next flight was not until 6:00 that evening. Our spirits were dwindling because we knew we would be missing a day in Venice. >This lounge was the best find and I did not want to be blocked out. Most of the group was slumbering on their cots, but I talked Ray into going with me to find this lounge and see if there was anything else we needed other than money to get in.  It was a long walk, but everything seemed to be a long walk in the airport. We found the lounge next to the Polaris Lounge but it was closed. We had about an hour before it opened so we went back to our group, who had been awakened by ungodly loud music from the restaurant where we had made our home for the night.

 Everyone felt that $59 was worth having a shower, hot meal and a place to hang out for the day. We gathered our few belongings and walked back to the lounge which had been open only a few minutes. Here is a picture of us sitting at a table having breakfast. A nice man took our picture. We found out he was a make up artist in Los Angeles and had just had carpel tunnel surgery. He assured us his hands were able to take a picture and also told Ray that the surgery was well worth it and to have it done when Ray returned home. Not sure where Ray is on that now, but he and this guy talked quite a bit about it.

Ray and Jackie in foreground, Ann and Michael next and Bruce and Stephanie in back

After a great breakfast I decided to take a shower. I was thankful that I had packed extra underwear in my backpack. I kept my expectations of the shower low as I did not want to be disappointed by a grungy, moldy place. I walked into the shower room and found a waiting area, kind of like going to a spa. A kind young woman greeted me and guided me to a huge bathroom with a walk in shower. She gave me towels and a wash cloth and told me that the soap and shampoo and lotions were in the shower. It was such a relief to see this pristine shower that I did not want to leave. Here are some pictures of the shower and bathroom. 



Inside the shower


There were other showers. I am not sure how many, maybe six or eight. After one was in use, the young woman would thoroughly clean it, to get it ready for the next person.

The best part of finding the United Lounge was later in the day. I was just finished charging my phone at a table and stood up to join the others in more comfortable seats. I looked up and here comes a woman who looked familiar. Before I could stop my mouth I said to her, "You look like Joan Baez." She pulled down her mask, looked at me, smiled and said, "I am." She then put her finger to her mouth in a shhh gesture, and I knew she did not want me to make this public. I smiled and nodded, but inside I wanted to follow her to her seat and tell her how much I admired her, her music, her bravery standing up for peace and civil rights, and how she made me cry when I listened to her sing to the children in war torn Ukraine just last year.  But I could not. I respected her need to have her time. Darn, it was so hard.  She sat right across from us and worked on paperwork and checked her phone. My heart was full and realized that if we had not been stranded in Newark airport all night and all day, I would have never spoken to Joan Baez.  Here are a couple pictures of Joan Baez. 




Later in the afternoon we gathered our few belongings and headed for the gate to catch our plane. Stephanie and Bruce were scheduled on a different flight that went directly to Venice. Ann, Michael, Ray and I were scheduled on a flight through Brussels. Here is a picture of the four of us, looking all refreshed from spending all day at the United Lounge.


To be continued....

2 comments:

  1. Love your challenging journey. You were gifted with meeting Joan biaz. Simple luxuries of a clean body and food. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m happy your awful delay turned out to be a positive experience!

    ReplyDelete