Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Jackie's Folly

Two years ago I wrote about this rusty bucket in our back yard. Something for Your Rusty Bucket List   Well, we still have that rusty bucket in the back yard...and I sometimes think I have found a substitute.  For those who did not read about the Rusty Bucket...here is a short explanation.  The bucket shelters an ant colony that grew over a couple of years...and when Ray and I got married...he was concerned that I would want the bucket out of the yard...but when I saw the ants I did not want to destroy their home either.  So, we have this ugly rusty bucket in the back yard.

Rusty Bucket

Usually the ants stay underground, but here they are having a party on the rusty bucket.

Two summers ago, while driving in New Mexico we happened to drive by "The Classical Gas Museum."   I will write about this place another time as it will require more space than I can give it here.  This museum is packed with all sorts of memorabilia....most related to gas stations, diners...or travel in the 1940s to present.  Of course, we could not drive by...we stopped and explored the place.  We could have spent hours there.

But, back to the rusty bucket!   My eye caught a glass dome among the treasures behind the museum.  This museum is not like others...most of the stuff seemed like it was for sale...and this domed glass object was one of them.  It would be a perfect replacement for the rusty bucket.

Doesn't this look much nicer than the rusty bucket?

"It's too small, Jackie," was Ray's reply when he saw it. 

"No, it isn't.  It might be a tight fit, but the ant colony will adjust to it,"  I replied.  This was perfect.  It would look like a crystal ball in the yard.  I was determined that we buy it.

Johnnie Meier, the owner of the museum gave us a fair price.  He said that this was the dome of a street light...and he had another if we wanted two.  I began to waver....two...that would be nice...because if you have read any of my earlier blogs....you know that I tend to anthropomorphize things...and I  thought that maybe this glass dome would like to have a friend travel across the country to a new home.  But we only needed one....and Ray was even hesitant about getting just one.

After much discussion, I convinced Ray that we needed that glass dome....well, maybe he just gave in.  He still thought it was too small.  I acquiesced with separating the two glass domes and just bringing one home.  We wrapped it in a blanket and secured it in the back of the van.  It managed to be in our way when unpacking and packing the van when we stopped for the night.  It did not matter...I was so happy with our purchase that no amount of grumbling about it dashed my spirits.

When we arrived home I waited patiently as Ray unpacked the van.  He carefully handed me my treasure.  I carried to the rusty bucket.  This could not be!  My crystal ball was too small!  Ray was standing by the van, watching me, sensing my disappointment.  He dared not utter the words that I know he was thinking...I told you so.  Instead, he said, "Maybe we can find another place for it."


Ray calls it Jackie's Folly....and I am okay with that.


Ray and the Rusty Bucket

9 comments:

  1. I don't think of it as a folly. Maybe a summer home? An enclosed porch? A big skylight? Definitely not a folly when it has so many useful applications.Plus, it is a bit of history right in your own back yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can count on you to find a solution! I like the enclosed porch with a big skylight. :-)

      Delete
  2. So it has not found a home yet? Won't it get too hot for the ants underneath it? You have a good man in Ray. You two are a perfect match. I'm afraid the ants would be gone at our house. We had an incident last summer when they swarmed our car eating the bugs from the radiator while we were on a trip. They were not welcomed in the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember reading that post about the ants and your radiator. That was amazing. As long as they stay out of the house...things are good.

      Delete
  3. I know the ants would be gone at our house--you are kind to them. We seem to get mostly fire ants and their bites sure sting. I love the idea of your domed observatory though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would not probably protect the ants because as someone said, ours are mean. But if they stayed in the rusty bucket - it would be fun to watch. The glass dome -- I'd get some small dollhouse furniture and put under it hiding some where among the flowers, as a place for the fairies to gather. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The glass dome is lovely; but the rusty bucket has its own special appeal. My favorite part is when you debated on the second glass dome so the first dome could have a traveling companion!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad I found your blog again! I remember reading you last year during this challenge and this story is just as wonderful as the ones last year! Love it...I wondered too if the ants would roast under the glass dome, but it would be cool to be able to watch them...love the idea of a summer home or enclosed porch with skylight! Slice on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! So much suspense to wait and see the size of the new treasure. I'm the type who would've guessed the same size. It's close right? Cute story! Patient hubby!

    ReplyDelete